Cultural Mediator Sassari
Italian, English and French
Type of contract
Paid - 3/6 months, with the possibility of renewal
Relevant professional experience in socio-health sector
Are you interested?
Read the full Job Description; if you are qualified, please apply online.
This role requires both the specific skills relevant to this professional role – to match the needs of migrant people with the health and social services available in the area where they live – and a good knowledge of health care and social services facilities in Italy.
BACKGROUND AND ORGANISATION OF WORK
The clinic in Sassari, which works in collaboration with the Asl Sassari 1, is the continuation of the experience of our social and health orientation desk of EMERGENCY active since December 2012.
Emergency’s outpatient clinic offers free basic medical care, nursing services and social and health orientation services: our mediators, always present, are available to help those who need free access to the care of the National Health Service.
The role requires the ability to adapt to flexible working hours and a workload which may at times be intense or stressful. The teams are composed of various professionals including unpaid volunteers who support and work alongside the paid staff.
The mediators and other members of the EMERGENCY team must have a cooperative problem-solving approach, with the aim of finding the best way to enable people to access the care or assistance they need.
The personnel may be required to liaise with the local authorities, regional associations and with the Servizio Sanitario Nazionale (National Health Service) facilities.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
All EMERGENCY personnel are expected to know and follow the guide lines, protocols, and the diagnosis and treatment standards in use in the Centre, and to ensure the correct compilation of clinical records and statistics in both computer and paper formats.
The main duties and responsibilities of the cultural mediator are:
- To welcome the patient and/or health and social services users;
- Linguistic and cultural mediation in compiling medical files;
- Linguistic and cultural mediation prior to and during the medical examination;
- In agreement with the doctor (where present) and the nurse, to propose treatment options and provide health care education where necessary;
- To accompany patients who need hospital (SSN) treatment and assist with reception and admissions procedures;
- Health and social services orientation activities: the creation of individual itineraries aimed at helping people integrate into the region, advice on regulations and rights regarding health or residency issues, cooperation with regional public and civil services (register office and health service registration, services dedicated to migrants, police station, prefecture…);
- Correct use of the computerised management system (collection of patients’ clinical data and processing of statistics), for which specific training will be provided;
- If necessary, to contribute to the management of certain administrative or logistical aspects of the project (cash flow, budget control, purchases, transport…);
- At the request of the Coordinator, to participate in inspections to evaluate other possible sites where the service may be required.
GUIDELINES, PROTOCOLS AND EQUIPMENT
Further information on the guidelines, protocols and services relevant to the post along with details of the instruments and equipment available will be provided at interview and during the period of preparation for the mission.
- Bachelors or Masters degree preferably in social sciences or economics, or relevant professional diploma;
- Professional experience in the field of health and social services or in organisations (public or private) which deal with immigrants or poverty alleviation;
- Willingness to work as part of a multidisciplinary team;
- Ability to work and problem-solve in high-stress situations;
- Ability to adapt to the community life of the team, including basic living conditions;
- Driving License (B);
- Fluency in Italian, English and French;
- Preferable residence in Sassari or nearby.
Minimum 3-6 months’ stay at the project. After this trial period (paid), EMERGENCY may offer an extension of the contract (up to 12 months).
HOW TO APPLY
For further information and inquiries (not for applications): email@example.com. To apply, please complete the on-line application form: applications sent to this e-mail account will not be considered.
Disclosure pursuant to EU Regulation 2016/679 (GDPR)