Afghanistan, Sierra Leone
Type of contract
Fixed-term contract - paid (6 months)
Degree in Nursing; 8 years' continuous professional experience in trauma & emergency surgery hospital departments.
Are you interested?
Read the full Job Description; if you are qualified, please apply online.
This role requires complete autonomy in managing the care of trauma patients, often in critical condition and with polytraumatic injuries, in the Emergency Department, wards and/or Intensive Care Unit.
BACKGROUND AND ORGANISATION OF WORK
The Trauma & Emergency Surgery Nurse supervises, teaches and works alongside the national staff colleagues providing treatment and care for both adult and paediatric patients admitted to the ward or in the Emergency Department.
He/She will collaborate with the national and international nursing colleagues, medical and technical personnel, to deliver the highest possible standards of care and treatment.
The international nurse is responsible to the Head Nurse.
The main areas of work are:
- EMERGENCY DEPARTMENT: nursing triage based on the protocols in use at the Centre;
- OUTPATIENTS DEPARTMENT: examination rooms for dressings and post-surgery follow-up;
- WARDS: 3-4 wards comprising a maximum of 120 beds;
- INTENSIVE CARE UNIT AND HIGH DEPENDENCY UNIT: 6-8 beds equipped in accordance with the protocols in use and the resources available..
Assignment to one or more departments will be made on the basis of your specific skills and professional experience. The workload and rota of the international nurses are variable, depending on the needs and organisational set-up of the hospital; you will usually have at least one day off a week. However patient care must be guaranteed 24/7 for emergencies on the ward and in the Emergency Department.
The international nurse organises the work of the national staff in his/her area of responsibility, together with the Medical Coordinator of the project.
DUTIES AND REPONSIBILITIES
All EMERGENCY personnel are expected to know and follow the hospital admissions criteria, guidelines, protocols, and the diagnosis and treatment standards in use in the Centre, and to ensure the correct compilation of clinical records and statistics in both computer and paper formats.
The main duties and responsibilities of the Nurse are:
- management of nursing triage in the Emergency Department, in collaboration with the national colleagues;
- in case of a mass casualty, to manage critical patients as instructed by the team leader responsible for the protocol (Mass Casualty Plan);
- care of surgical patients, including those with polytrauma, pre and post-operatively;
- care of critically ill patients in the Intensive Care Unit and High Dependency Unit;
- correct application and supervision of the nursing protocols, including those regarding hygiene and sterility;
- correct compilation and maintenance of nursing notes, clinical files and patient records;
- assistance in clinical research and record keeping as required by the scientific programmes of the specialist sector of the Medical Division of EMERGENCY.
OTHER SPECIFIC DUTIES AND MANAGEMENT OF STOCKS AND SUPPLIES
The Trauma & Emergency Surgery Nurse may be assigned other specific duties identified by the Medical Coordinator, based on the needs of the Centre (e.g. ensuring the hygiene protocols are being followed throughout the service areas of the hospital, management of the pharmacy and orders of consumables…).
MANAGEMENT AND TRAINING OF LOCAL PERSONNEL
Clinical activities and patient care are always carried out alongside and in collaboration with local personnel, who thus benefit from training in the field. There is also provision for more specific teaching activities, managed by the international specialists, in accordance with the individual needs of each hospital.
CASELOAD AND EQUIPMENT
The technological level of the equipment present in the Centres is suited to the clinical and managerial protocols in use, and the level of professional autonomy of the national staff, with the aim of achieving – and sustaining – high standards of care. Diagnostic equipment, basic laboratory tests, technical and auxiliary services are always available.
GUIDELINES, PROTOCOLS AND EQUIPMENT
Further information on the guidelines, protocols and clinical services relevant to the post along with details of the instruments and equipment available will be provided at interview and during the period of preparation for the mission.
The general requirements and conditions apply to all the international staff.
- Nursing Degree (or equivalent Diploma) and current registration on the professional nursing register of your Country of residence;
- at least 8 years’ continuous professional experience in one or more of the following specialist areas: Emergency Surgery, Orthopaedics and Trauma and/or Intensive Care Unit;
- good working knowledge of the English language (at least B2, Europass);
- Strongly motivated by humanitarian work;
- Good organisational skills, capacity to manage competing workload and work within a team;
- Able to capacity build and supervise local surgical staff;
- Professional experience in an international humanitarian context or low-income countries is an asset.
HOW TO APPLY
For further information and inquiries (not for applications): email@example.com. To apply, please complete the on-line application form: applications sent to this e-mail account will not be considered.
Disclosure pursuant to EU Regulation 2016/679 (GDPR)
EMERGENCY ONG Onlus, with headquarters in Via Santa Croce 19, 20122 Milan (MI) – Italy, is Data Controller under EU Regulation 2016/679 (‘GDPR’). Personal data will be processed for the purposes of seeking, selecting and managing hired personnel only by authorised staff and possibly disclosed to third parties who may be appointed as Data Processors. Personal data will be stored for no longer than necessary for the aforementioned purposes without prejudice to any other rights under, obligations or protection means provided by Law. Data subjects can exercise their rights under Art. 15 et seq. of the GDPR mailing at firstname.lastname@example.org.
The Data Protection Officer appointed by the Controller is Mr. Nicola Tarantino, who can be mailed at email@example.com.
Please, browse the complete Privacy Notice on this site.