Faenza is among the municipalities in Emilia Romagna hardest hit by the floods that swept through the northern Italian region in mid-May 2023. Houses and roads were flooded; entire families lost everything and need concrete help to get back on their feet.
At the request of the Municipality of Faenza and in agreement with the local institutions, we intervened in the city from the very first days to:
- manage the collection and distribution of donated goods (basic necessities and technical equipment) for the families affected by the floods and to coordinate the volunteers who arrived to help the local population. From 21 May to 13 June, the logistics hub managed by EMERGENCY was the single collection and distribution centre for the aid donated for the local population by companies and individuals, supporting over 2,000 households. (21 May – 13 June)
- coordinate the volunteers who rushed to help the local population, through our Infopoint. Thanks to their efforts, it was possible to carry out 4,000 clearing and cleaning operations. (25 May – 25 June)
- door-to-door distribution of household goods and personal hygiene products in all the municipalities of Faenza and Bassa Romagna with the support of EMERGENCY’s vans. (21 May – 30 June).
EMERGENCY’s Commitment Continues
After the end of the first emergency phase, we are surveying the social-medical and in particular the psychological needs of the local population. Together with health and municipal authorities, we are evaluating the possibility of activating a project to support the people affected by the flood.
We would like to thank all the people who participated in this mission: the Municipality of Faenza, the Civil Protection and all the other associations with which we collaborated. The biggest thank you goes to the thousands of volunteers who made themselves massively available and took it upon themselves to keep up the amount of activities that were put in place, and to the residents of the Unione della Romagna Faentina, for having welcomed us and guided us every day in our intervention.Arianna, EMERGENCY's Logistics Coordinator in Faenza
You can support EMERGENCY’s work with a donation
With your donation to EMERGENCY, you will help us raise the funds to finance emergency interventions like this one, in Italy and around the world.
- Make an online donation on our website
- Make a transfer to the Intesa San Paolo bank account
made out to EMERGENCY Ong Onlus
Reason for payment: EMERGENCY FUND